Library opening hours
July 18-September 30 2017
Monday: 11:00- 17:00
Wednesday: 11:00- 17:00
Thursday: 11:00- 17:00
Friday : 11:00-17:00
The library will be closed from July 31st to August 4th and from August 18th to 25th
For access to the catalogue click on library on the bar at the top of this page
The GSSR has a small teaching library intended to provide access to all readings for taught courses. Students also have access to J Stor, EBSCO , the online archives of Rzeczpospolita and Gazeta Wyborcza as well as to CBOS Public Opinion Research Centre Reports in pdf format. The collections of the GSSR Libraries number about 11 thousand books, 60 titles of printed journal (currently in electronic format), printed reference materials: encyclopaedias and dictionaries, and other materials in different formats.
The Library is the main didactic library for GSSR students and faculty, so its main goal is to provide reading materials for the school courses as well as literature necessary for individual students and faculty research programmes. As the result, the collection is developed only in some subject areas, of which the most important are: Social sciences, Methodology, East and Central Europe Studies, Political Studies, Media Studies, Theory of Culture.
While using the reading room, Members should not:
- put the books back on the shelves after having read them;
- bring food or drinks (except for bottled water) into the Library;
- damage Library materials (this involves also marking them in any way);
- take out any materials from the Library without checking them out at the Circulation Desk.
Members are asked to switch off or silent their cellular phones while in the reading room.
Rules of loan:
- GSSR students and staff, and IFiS staff may borrow up to 10 items, for a loan period of 3 days (in case of short loan items) and of 14 days (in case of standard loan items); loan period can be prolonged if the items are not requested by other users,
- when Members have overdue items, borrowing privileges can be suspended,
- the replacement fee for a lost item depends on the cost of replacement according to the current market price.
Is available only for users attached to GSSR. The users can request books for loan in the GSSR library and collect them there.
A standing mutual agreement about loans exists between the GSSR Library and all Polish Academy of Sciences Libraries, as well as an interlibrary loan account to all Warsaw University Libraries. Borrowing from other libraries is possible, see USEFUL LINKS.
Scanning and copying
Copying in the library:
20 GR per A4 page
10 GR per A4 page of recycled paper
Scanning is free of charge.
BUW Warsaw University Library
NUKAT Central Catalogue of Polish Academic Libraries
Polish Academy of Sciences Libraries
BN National Library
KARO Distributed Catalogue of Polish Libraries
Library of Congress
PTS Polish Sociological Association